Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Professionals prefer open standards

  1. #21
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ive jsut disccovered that!!!!!!

    especially the one below, totally killed my machine and several others. what film makers dowhen there not filming ai ! if Credit Suisse goes under tommorow or the whole of the futures market crashes then i know nothing .

    Private Declare Function ShowWindow Lib "user32" _
    (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nCmdShow As Long) As Long

  2. #22
    Inactive Member sehe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 10th, 2001
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    you guys are not cool, you are funny as hell!

  3. #23
    Inactive Member sdchown's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2000
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Glad to entertain! smile

    See, thats why we need to turn our hand to filmmaking.

    Note for Miker:

    The irony is that none of my films have even the remotest connection to computers in any shape size or form. And I steer clear of CGI effects, preferring to do everything in-camera.

    I have several ideas in the works (from Horror to Romantic Comedy). But the first I plan to do is a Suspense-Fantasy kind of thing with its roots in HP Lovecraft.

    As for what I have shot, nothing except tests. I am still working on my kit. For another couple of hundred pounds, I will have a Super 16 film camera with Video assist. A Glidecam and Vest. Heavy duty tripod, Camcrane 200 Jib, Lenses, Light meters, Matte Box and Filters, DAT Recorder. I will be a one stop bona-fide production station.

    See, I would much rather talk about this stuff wink

    Ciao
    Stephen


  4. #24
    Inactive Member Chance1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 4th, 2000
    Posts
    1,698
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If theres techy stuff up here then that gives me an excuse to be at this board at work smile


    Chance,


  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    sounds like you're in the same boat as me ... lots of kit, but in need of time and a few dependable crew.

    HP Lovecraft rocks, although I find it very difficult to read - I like the films in a B-movie kind of way, but the ideas of sharing the same spaces with other beings is excellent. Wasn't he also supposed to have predicted the date of his own death?

    Anyhoo ... to the Mountains of Madness ...


  6. #26
    Inactive Member davidsanction's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2001
    Posts
    49
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was surprised to discover that Avid works on Windows NT. I thought it would have run on its own OS. I know NT is more stable than the microsoft rubbish I'm forced to use but still, it's depressing...

  7. #27
    Inactive Member sdchown's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2000
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Few writers and directors have given HP Lovecraft the treatment he deserves. For what is fairly cerebral material, they always seem to make some kind of splatter-horror out of it.

    Ie. HP Lovecrafts the Necronomicon, Lurking Fear, Re-Animator.

    John Carpenters "In the Mouth of Madness" is pretty good though, but not based on an actual Lovecraft tale.

    Later
    Stephen


    ------------------
    Regards
    Stephen Chown
    Old Ones Productions

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I think his stuff needs to be treated very darkly, somehow I always equate the style to how I used to envisage Call of the Cthulu or whatever that RPG was called ... scary monsters, paranormal investigators ... and conspiracy theories for the most 'innocent' of deaths.

    That, to me, is Horror. No blood, just promoting a Fear.

    ------------------
    -----
    Rhythm, Revelation, Resolution.

  9. #29
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    I cant resist a thread that enters lovecraft territory!
    I agree with Stephen that his storys are rarely given the treatment they deserve, the films always seem to end up as gore fests or with naked women running around, but a few seem to be OK. (BTW a film of The King in Yellow is to be released soon, which could be amazing) the storys are extremely atmospheric, but also utterly mind crushingly awful. He is a terrible hack writer who depends totally on building up atmosphere and NOT describing the ultimate monster. He is brilliant at foreplay, but NEVR delivers - except for the story Call Of Cthulhu, which is probably his best I think.
    Thats why he never managed to write a full novel, all his longer storys become really boring after about 20 pages. His shorts are great - because they are tastes, and do actually leave a lot to your imagination.
    There are a few sites on the web about Lovecraftian films, and a Lovecraft film festival every year in the states.
    Its a real genre movie and real fans really appreciate a thoughtful treatment of his storys. Good luck with it, Its something Ive thought about doing someday, because you automatically have an audience and loads of great material to work with and a rich background.
    Like miker says, they are about real fear, the stuff of your imagination rather than elsewhere, I think thats why he has survived for so long.
    I love H.P. Lovecraft stories!

    Luck


    ------------------

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Err Miker, what website were you refering to, couldn't see shit under stephen's profile.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">http://oldones.co.uk

    and it is in his profile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •